Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Lesson Learned

By: ccollins2009

Life lessons are those things your parents teach you when you're old enough to listen. Things like: "Becareful what you wish for" or "If you don't have anthing nice to say don't say anthing at all." My parents were no different but like most of the people in my family I'm hard headed. Most of the time I have to learn things the hard way.

I was 18, at the time, and had just been in another argument with my mom. I was pissed. Not just kinda mad. I mean full blown Irish temper pissed. Not wanting to fight anymore I went outside to take a walk and vent.

I can't tell you what all I said, I don't really remember but I'm sure it wasn't nice. And most of it probably wasn't true. I was just talking to myself and being mad.

Finally, I calmed down enough to go back into the house but when I turned around there stood mom. There was no doubt in my mind she had heard everything I'd said. You could see the hurt in her eyes and for the first time in 18 years I really understood why she'd always told me to, "never speak in anger cause you can't take those words back."

Ten years later I can still remember the hurt in her eyes and how I felt like crawling under a rock. From that day on I vowed to do my best to never speak in anger again because words really do hurt and you can't take them back.

No comments:

Post a Comment